teapot1

teapot1

Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for Ensor


E

 

James Ensor

 

The Entry of Christ into Brussels (1888) is one of the paintings that knocked me for a loop the first time I saw it--and I saw it only in reproduction. Unfortunately I haven’t yet had a chance to see the original, in the Getty Museum in Los Angeles, though I’d love to someday. I imagine it must be overwhelming.
 
 

 
 

I still think it’s one of the most disturbing, even frightening, works of art I’ve ever seen. And it continually fascinates me.

 
James Ensor (1860-1949) was a Belgian painter, and his work both influenced and exemplified Expressionism. He began as a realist painter, but then became fascinated by symbols such as masks, costumes, and skeletons and used them to express the theme of the inhumanity of man.

 
In this painting, probably his masterpiece, the viewer’s eye is swamped by grotesque faces and death’s-heads and garish colors. The figure of Christ on a donkey is barely visible in the center of the painting, only a large gold halo distinguishing him. The ugly faces of the crowd seem more like predators waiting to attack him than like worshippers. The banner overhead translates to “Long Live Social Progress” and one of the signs as “Never-Failing Fanfares of State Power.”
 
His paintings reflected his fears and anxieties, and he seemed to identify personally with the sufferings of Christ. Much of his work had been rejected, and this painting itself wasn’t displayed until 1929.
 
He is still not well known by today’s audiences, but his work had a great influence on expressionist and surrealist artists in the twentieth century. His Swedish contemporary Edvard Munch (best known for “The Scream”) is much better known, though his work and psychological themes are quite similar to those of Ensor.

 
One modern tribute has been paid to him, though, by They Might Be Giants in their song “Meet James Ensor”.
 

 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know about this mostly unknown artist and his painting. I loved the way you described the painting. Everything was kind of jumbled for me until I read your description. I'm going to go back and see if I can find a larger image. Maybe I can make out more details.
    #1390
    A to Z April Blogging Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new painter for me, will have to check his work, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to have your commentary to go by on this one, because there is no way I would have made out what it was! It is a bit scary and overwhelming in the sheer busyness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing and disturbing painting! I see what you are describing. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of this artist but the painting is definitely unique. I had to go back and look at it several times to make sure I noticed the things you mentioned. I too would love to see this 'close up'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely not my kind of painting at all - too weird for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if I've heard of Ensor. Thanks for introducing us to him. Then, as is now, art depends on patronage or someone to spread the word about your art. I do know of The Scream by Munsch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesus is all but lost in the crowd. What a wild mob. The vibrancy of the colors shows how much chaos is going on and Jesus at peace in the center of all that turmoil.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never heard of this painter so thanks for introducing him. However the painting looks to scary and I would never have guessed what it is. Dropping by from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post. I love to learn new things. Thanks for introducing me to this painter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post on this picture. I had not heard of Ensor before today...so thank you for sharing. I'm still trying to take in the picture you've posted...so much going on in this one-- and Jesus is hardly to be found. Does that mean social progress loses the significance of Jesus as it progresses?? It sure has me thinking.

    THanks for sharing!! CHeers, Jenn
    http://imagesbyduffee.com

    ReplyDelete