teapot1

teapot1

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


T

 Tom Thomson

 Tom Thomson (1877–1917) was a Canadian painter who is associated with the group of Canadian artists called the Group of Seven, although that group wasn’t officially formed until after Thomson’s death. Nevertheless, he had a great influence on them. These artists concentrated on painting the landscape and wilderness of Canada in a post-Impressionist style, using bold colors and brushstrokes and thick applications of paint.
 
Thomson drowned at age thirty-nine under somewhat mysterious circumstances.   As he had only begun painting seriously in 1912, his creative period was short, yet he left behind hundreds of small sketches and full paintings and a long-lasting legacy.



Northern Lights

 
Snow in the Woods
 
West Wind


Pine Island Georgian Bay

 

7 comments:

  1. I love his style artwork with the thick paint strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I hadn't heard of him before. What were the mysterious circumstances of his drowning?~Denise Ferri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Gauguin, but then again,not. Sadly, this young artist's life was too short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning paintings!! Great T post!
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  5. West Wind is my favorite.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pine Island would be my favorite choice of these. They remind me of the few oil paintings I have that my mother did, so of course, they give me a nice feeling. Thanks for "T"!

    ReplyDelete